How to install Microsoft SQL server and run SQL 2022 on Windows 8/10/11. SQL is one of the most demanding skills for Data analysts and Data scientists.
Follow the video for a more in-depth tutorial – We have installed both MS SQL servers in this video.
Why Microsoft SQL server and not MySQL by Oracle?
The similarity between both the Query Languages is 90% as syntax, commands, and logic are identical.
How to install Microsoft SQL Server on windows
To install the Microsoft SQL server follow the step.
Step 1: Visit the official website of the Microsoft SQL server. Select the free version and click on the “Download Now” button to start downloading.
Step 2: After the downloading is finished click on the setup to start the installation process of the Microsoft SQL server on the windows operating system.
Step 3: Once clicked on the setup the pop-up window will appear. In this tutorial, we will select the Download Media option.
Step 4: Select your Language, and chose CAB (Compressed Media .exe).
Step 5: In my case, it took approximately 15 minutes to set up. After the download is finished you must click on “open the folder”, and click on the sql_server.exe file to start the installation.
How to correctly setup SSAS, SSIS, and SQL Server
After you have downloaded the SQL Server, the next part is to install the sql_server.exe file
- Select the “Installation” option
- Select “New SQL Server Standalone installation or add a feature to an existing installation”
- A new pop-up window should appear, select the developer option as we are going to install a free version. Otherwise, you are free to choose MS Azure or the Product key option. The rest of the steps remain the same.
- Accept the license term and click on next
- On Install Rules, check all the results must green (Window Firewall in an exception)
- Let us skip the Azure Extension for SQL Server
- While selecting the feature I will advise you to select: Database Engine Services, Analysis Services, and Integration services. After selecting the features, click on next
- In the Instance option, keep all the options on default and click on next
- Database Engine Configuration chose “Window Authentication mode” and add yourself that is a Current user as SQL Server administrator click on next
- On Analysis Services Configuration, chose Tabular mode, and add the current user as Administrator. And click on next
- Now your SQL server is ready to install. Click on install.
It took almost 5 minutes to complete the setup.
After installing the Microsoft SQL server, the next step is to install SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio). As everyone needs an IDE to run SQL queries.