To download SSMS for SQL in 2022 is very simple and easy. Here are the steps you must follow to download the SSMS correctly.
Download SQL and SSMS 18.12.1 together: Watch the video and Read the blog (2 min read)-
How to install SSMS for SQL in 2022
How to install SSMS version 19
To download the latest generally available version of SSMS, see Downloading SSMS.
SSMS 19 Preview 4 is the latest preview release.
- Releasenummer: 19.0 (Preview 4)
- Buildnummer: 19.0.20179.0
- Release date: December 15, 2022
Installing SSMS 19.x does not upgrade or replace SSMS 18.x or earlier versions. SSMS 19.x installs side-by-side with previous versions, allowing you to use both versions. However, if you have a previous preview version of SSMS 19 installed, you must uninstall it before installing the latest SSMS 19 preview version. You can check if you have a preview version in the Help > About window.
If a computer contains parallel SSMS installations, you should ensure that you are launching the correct version for your specific needs. The latest version is called Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio v19.0 Preview 4.
Unattended Version of SSMS 2022
Unattended install Process
You can also install SSMS using a command prompt script.
If you want to install SSMS silently without any GUI prompts, follow the steps below.
- Launch Command Prompt with elevated privileges.
- Enter the following command in the command prompt.
start "" /w <path where SSMS-Setup-ENU.exe file is located> /Quiet SSMSInstallRoot=<path where you want to install SSMS>
start "" /w %systemdrive%\SSMSfrom\SSMS-Setup-ENU.exe /Quiet SSMSInstallRoot=%systemdrive%\SSMSto
You can also pass /Passive instead of /Quiet to see the setup UI.
- In this example, if everything works, you will see that SSMS is installed to %systemdrive%\SSMSto\Common7\IDE\Ssms.exe. If an error occurred, you can view the error code returned and the log file under %TEMP%\SSMSSetup.
How to Uninstall SSMS
SSMS can install shared components if they are found to be missing during SSMS installation. These components are not automatically uninstalled when SSMS is uninstalled.
The released components are the following:
- Azure Data Studio
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2
- Microsoft OLE DB Driver for SQL Server
- Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable Components (x86)
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable Components (x86)
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable Components (x64)
- Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2017
These components are not uninstalled because they can be shared with other products. Once uninstalled, there is a risk that other products will be disabled.
SSMS 2022 System Requirements
The current release of SSMS supports the following 64-bit platforms when used with the current service pack:
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows 11 (64-bit)
- Windows 10 (64-bit) version 1607 (10.0.14393) or later
- Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
- Windows Server 2022 (64-bit)
- Windows Server 2019 (64-bit)
- Windows Server 2016 (64-bit)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (64-bit)
- Windows Server 2012 (64-bit)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)
- x86 processor with 1.8 GHz or faster (Intel, AMD). Dual-core or better recommended
- 2GB RAM; 4 GB RAM recommended (2.5 GB minimum when running in a virtual machine)
- Hard disk space: Minimum 2 GB up to 10 GB of available space